Department: Research Management
Reports to: Head of Research Management
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
Ensure the efficient and effective running of the biological containment laboratories (CL) across the business (CL1-CL3), including maintaining the infrastructure and a safe working environment in compliance with HSE regulations
- Work closely with the Research, EH&S and Facilities teams to oversee the effective and compliant operation of all biological containment laboratory activities (including any relevant GMO notifications)
- Manage and finalize all compliance documentation and review of CL Code of Practices (ie CL2 and CL3)
- Participate in HSE and Biosafety audits, maintain up to date knowledge of relevant statutory Health and Safety legislation and work with EHS to implement any improvements
- Attend safety training as required and promote laboratory safety
- Proactively seek ways to improve current processes, seeking guidance from stakeholders and management where required
- Ensuring that all records and information are up to date, on time and recorded to the correct standard.
- Working with other departments to ensure processes are compliant (HSE, GDPR, HTA etc)
- Support ad hoc lab focused process improvement projects across the business
- Attend the site EHS steering meeting and provide general Biosafety updates.
- Project manage the build programme for new CL3 at Milton Park*, with input from Biological Safety and Facilities representatives (*short-term project management focus – delivery Q4 2020; will require the candidate to work between Oxford Science Park and Milton Park during this period)
- Have oversight of all aspects of laboratory equipment repair, servicing, routine maintenance and calibrations, user trainings and organisation of shutdowns ensuring compliance with HSE regulations and the appropriate code of practice for the containment labs
- Ensure laboratory inductions and tours for existing and new staff members are carried out and that competency assessments conducted.
- Lead regular CL3 meetings, ensure circulation of minutes and follow up on agreed actions and responsibilities
- Represent CL3 users on appropriate committees, as required
- Support CL3 users and the biosafety team in responding to incidents, including near misses and emergencies
- This job description is only an outline of the tasks, responsibilities and outcomes required of the role. The jobholder will carry out any other duties as may be reasonably required by his/her line manager. The job description and personal specification may be reviewed on an ongoing basis in accordance with the changing needs of the company.
- Employees are also expected to safeguard their own health and safety and security by following policies and all employees are responsible for the Health and Safety and security of staff under their management
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- Demonstrable knowledge of Laboratory safety and Health and Safety at work regulations
- Experience in assessing biological hazards
- Proven ability to track and record information in a concise and timely way, and in compliance with agreed standards
- Ability to interact effectively with scientists to support scientific projects in order to meet company objectives, while maintaining safety standards
- Familiarity with a broad range of laboratory equipment used in cell biology
- Continuous improvement mindset that constantly seeks to improve efficiency and safety.
- Ability to work under pressure, react to changes in plans and use initiative
- Teamwork- Ability to work well in a highly cross-functional team environment
- Communication- Able to expresses one’s self clearly and concisely within team; timely and effectively communicates issues to supervisor; technical writing skills to support contributing to internal technical document.
- Organization- Exercises good time management and prioritization skills
- Degree or equivalent experience in biosciences or related discipline
- Prior experience of working in containment level 3 labs
- Qualifications and / or recognised training in Health, safety and/or biosafety including working safely at CL3
- Experience in preparing and maintaining risk assessments, COSHH forms and related documents
- Experience in using database systems, Project management and external contractors
- Knowledge of immunology and cell biology
KEY BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES – ALL STAFF
- Openness and honesty
Readily offering information pertaining to work in hand whether positive or negative.
- Taking responsibility
Being prepared to accept full responsibility for tasks entrusted to them; seeing tasks through to completion and dealing with the consequences of failure or success.
Being flexible to new ideas and approaches; changes of plans, objectives and/or priorities. Handling disjointed tasks effectively.
- Team spirit
Being able to work productively with others to achieve tasks. Showing consideration for the needs and feelings of others.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
Degree or equivalent experience in biosciences or related discipline
Closing Date: 18th June 2020