Immunocore is a leading T Cell Receptor (TCR) biotechnology company focused on delivering first-in-class biological therapies that have the potential to transform the lives of people with serious diseases.
We’re on a mission to transform the lives of people with some of the world’s most challenging diseases. Using our soluble TCR platform and ImmTAC® molecules, we have potential to deliver life changing medicine that can target and destroy cancer. This is your opportunity to join us as a Vice President of Information Technology and be part of the next phase of our journey, working on a ground-breaking oncology drug that has potential to have a real impact on patients.
The main purpose of this role is to develop and execute on the agreed strategy for IT business operations and scientific computing in line with the Company’s long-term business plan. Overseeing all short and long term IT requirements, with the responsibility for the strategic planning, implementation and service delivery.
- Continually review, develop, manage and implement clear strategies for the IT operations, systems and budgets, which allow the function to best support business needs
- Directly and indirectly support the scientific R&D groups to implement the scientific bioanalytics projects and to explore the use of technology to advance their work
- Support the user community in work flow improvement and design, supporting the organizations growth and transition from an R&D led organization to a commercial one
- Ensure the evolving need to implement business system and workflows are understood and appropriate solutions, that are scalable globally, simple and that work seamlessly together are identified
- Support and guide managers through system assessment, design, user acceptance testing, implementation and on-going reviews of effectiveness and opportunity
- Responsible for managing relationships with third party providers on connectivity, telecoms, storage, security, software, hardware and consultancy services
- Take ownership of regulatory IT projects to ensure the approach is both pragmatic but also compliant
- Establish a risk assessment process and maintain a robust disaster recovery plan, including regular “fire drills” to validate effectiveness
- Implement and oversee the operational processes and policies to ensure that company data and systems are secure from internal and external threats, whilst providing a seamless experience for users
- Liaise with the Senior Management Team to ensure the Company’s operational plan is supported by the IT team
- Maintain and develop own knowledge of IT best practices, systems and trends in technology, making recommendations on opportunities for business improvements
- Ensure that the service desk delivers proactive and right first time solutions and exceptional customer service globally in line with agreed SLA’s.
- Provides out of hours support for emergency IT crisis and risk management: such as security breaches, server failure etc
- Regular travel to the US offices
- As part of the management team develop and own the business plan and IT strategy for a business unit or large group or, acting within the wider context of the business.
- Headcount planning and recruitment including making budget submissions and proposals, reviewing conflicting requirements and requests, deciding where investments and adjustments might be needed.
- Ensuring that the annual appraisals are conducted and quality feedback is given on career development needs, having an overview of performance across the whole group and encouraging actions to develop talent and deal with any performance concerns
- Building the annual remuneration review recommendations and budgets in conjunction with HRBP
- Ensuring fairness and consistency with the Company and group during the annual remuneration review process.
- Proactively identifying and anticipating future skills gaps and succession planning, looking to have wider visibility across the whole organization and building plans to address any gaps.
- Evaluating the career objectives of direct reports, setting realistic expectations and guiding individuals on the experience and learning needed to achieve their goals.
- Coaching direct report managers to be effective in the management of their people.
- Ensuring the appropriate mix of skills and experience amongst employees for the long term, addressing shortfalls through recruitment and training.
- Proposing IT solutions that will help shape decisions and discussions affecting the overall long-term strategic direction of the Company, including at Board level.
- Proposes and manages the overall annual budget for the group, making recommendations based on the wider business context
- Championing opportunities for business improvement, understanding possible impact and benefits on other groups and seeking buy-in from the wider management team.
- Conducting group and Company updates ensuring employees and managers are well informed of what is going on across the Company and within the group, actively seeking input from the team on suggestions
- Understanding the Company’s changing culture and how it may need to evolve, understanding the values and ethics and scientific credibility that underpin the Company are maintained.
Experience & knowledge
- Excellent understanding of IT business operations and scientific computing requirements of a growing business, gained within a global biotech or pharma organisation
- Ideally will have knowledge and experience of working with Research and Scientific stakeholders
- Management of an IT infrastructure of c.400 users and over 500 computers, 3 servers, over 30 virtual machines hosted by Immunocore and AWS VM c. 23, close to 9,000 applications, c. 10 different operating systems software platforms including Linux, Windows.
- Experience of procurement and significant budget responsibility and involved in strategic planning at senior level
- Established long term IT business operations requirements
- Managed an IT team within a high tech growing business
- Managed and maintained simultaneous delivery of complex IT projects within a large multinational/global company
- Proven leadership skills and ability to develop a team
Education & qualifications
- BSc in computer science.
- MSc in business systems is desirable.